Today David shares a trusted favorite ? the classic (and easy!) Spanish garlic mushrooms recipe. I hope you enjoy!
Garlic-lovers of the world, Spain is calling you! This country has a passion for garlic and the sweet and piquant flavor it brings to tapas dishes. Without a doubt, the strongest symbol of the Spanish love of garlic is its collection of dishes served al ajillo. This sizzling mix of garlic, cayenne pepper, and olive oil takes any ordinary ingredient and lifts it to the heights of dazzling deliciousness!
This version of champiñones al ajillo (a Spanish garlic mushrooms recipe) makes the perfect starter for a chilly autumn night. Just make sure that you?re sharing the dish (and the garlic breath) with everyone around you! It takes less than half an hour to prepare, but tastes like a much more complicated dish. For fans of spice (and the health benefits!), feel free to add in another cayenne pepper.
I love this dish as a side to grilled meats or oily fish, but it also works well as a light appetizer. Serve it alongside a big Spanish red wine for a flavor combo you won?t forget in a hurry!
Spanish Garlic Mushrooms Recipe (Champiñones al Ajillo)
- 500g large button mushrooms
- 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced.
- 2 cayenne peppers
- ? cup white wine
- ½ cup good quality olive oil
- 1 cup of parsley, roughly chopped.
- First, clean the mushrooms by cutting the base of the stem, and then gently wiping with a damp cloth. Once clean, slice the mushrooms from top to bottom.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat, and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the finely sliced garlic cloves and the cayenne peppers.
- Once the garlic starts to turn golden, add the mushrooms to the pan, along with the white wine and a pinch of salt. After the wine is reduced and absorbed by the mushrooms, leave the pan on the heat for five minutes more and then remove from heat.
- Serve the mushrooms hot, garnished with the parsley and another pinch of salt.
Love garlic as much as the Spanish do? What?s your favorite tapas dish that showcases the amazing flavor of this taken-for-granted ingredient? Let me know, I want to try it!
More Classic Spanish Tapas Recipes
- Best tortilla
- Classic ham croquettes
- Patatas Bravas
- Padron Peppers
- See all Spanish tapas recipes